Please update your browser.
J.P. Morgan in France
Local expertise. Global resources. Our commitment to France.
Our roots in France date back to 1868, when the firm became one of the first foreign banks to be established in the country. From Paris, we offer our clients investment banking, access to credit and rates markets, equity brokerage, private banking, investment management and treasury and securities services.
J.P. Morgan has operated in Europe for nearly 200 years and has a sophisticated local market presence across Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA). Within the region, J.P. Morgan has an unparalleled client base and leadership across the spectrum of financial services products. The regional head office in London is complemented by a strong regional footprint, with offices in all major financial centers.
Globally, through the JPMorgan Chase Foundation, we make philanthropic investments in cities where we have major operations, assisting those at a disadvantage by helping them build better lives for themselves, their families and their communities. Across EMEA, the firm focuses its investment and attention on three pillars: Economic Development, Financial Empowerment and Workforce Readiness.
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, offering solutions to the world's most important corporations, governments and institutions in more than 100 countries. As announced in early 2018, JPMorgan Chase will deploy $1.75 billion in philanthropic capital around the world by 2023. We also lead volunteer service activities for employees in local communities by utilizing our many resources, including those that stem from access to capital, economies of scale, global reach and expertise.
Our Local History
With a legacy dating back to 1799, we have a history of demonstrating leadership during times of both economic growth and financial instability.
- 1993: J.P. Morgan completes a full-scale renovation of 14, Place Vendome. The renovation modernizes the building’s infrastructure to facilitate installation of new technology and building systems and restores its antique ceiling murals, gilded moldings, and parquet floors.
- 1959: J.P. Morgan & Co. merges with Guaranty Trust Company of New York to become Morgan Guaranty, consolidating operations of Morgan & Cie Inc. with those of the Guaranty Trust Company’s Paris office.
- 1945: Morgan & Cie incorporates after 77 years as a partnership.
- 1929: Guaranty Trust office moves to 4, Place de la Concorde, where it occupies the Hotel Coislin.
- 1928: Chase National Bank (a firm predecessor) opens a representative office in Paris.
- 1927: Morgan Harjes & Co. is renamed Morgan & Cie.
- 1927: Central Union Trust Co. (a firm predecessor) opens a representative office at 22, Place Vendome.
- 1919: Morgan Harjes, J.P. Morgan’s Paris partnership, officially occupies 14, Place Vendome.
- 1917: Guaranty Trust Company of New York (a firm predecessor) opens Paris office at 1 and 3 Rue des Italiens.
- 1916: 14, Place Vendome is bought by J.P.Morgan & Co. The building was designed by architect Jules Mansard and erected in the late 17th century. The façade is now designated a national monument.
- 1915: During WWI, J.P. Morgan & Co.in New York arranges the largest foreign loan in Wall Street history – a $500 million dollar Anglo-French loan – and acts as purchasing agent in the United States for the Allies. In this capacity, J.P. Morgan places over $3 billion worth of contracts with American suppliers.
- 1910: Equitable Trust Company of New York (a firm predecessor) opens its Paris branch on the Rue de la Paix, becoming the first American bank branch on the European continent.
- 1895: J.P. Morgan & Co. succeeds to a 100% interest in Drexel Harjes & Co. of Paris and changes the name to Morgan Harjes & Co. J. Pierpont Morgan is now senior partner of the firm.1870: Junius Morgan, J. Pierpont Morgan’s father and senior partner of J.S. Morgan & Co. in London, sponsors a FF250 million loan for the French government during the Franco-Prussian War. This catapults J.S. Morgan & Co. into the ranks of the world’s preeminent private banks.
- 1868: Anthony Drexel, a Philadelphia banker, opens Drexel Harjes & Co. at 83 rue Scribe. Drexel Harjes operates as a partnership and serves as the Paris branch of Drexel’s Philadelphia firm, Drexel & Co. J. Pierpont Morgan later becomes a partner.
You're now leaving J.P. Morgan
J.P. Morgan’s website and/or mobile terms, privacy and security policies don’t apply to the site or app you're about to visit. Please review its terms, privacy and security policies to see how they apply to you. J.P. Morgan isn’t responsible for (and doesn’t provide) any products, services or content at this third-party site or app, except for products and services that explicitly carry the J.P. Morgan name.