History in Ireland
J.P. Morgan traces its roots in Ireland back to 1919, when The National Land Bank was established under the direction of Ireland's nascent, independent parliament to help revive land redistribution from landlords to tenant farmers.
In the years following independence, this bank came under the control of the Bank of Ireland and was renamed National City Bank in 1927. In 1968, the Bank of Ireland entered into a joint venture with Chase Manhattan Bank. Chase took full ownership of the legal entity in 1979, acquired Chemical Bank Ireland in 1993, and later changed its name to J.P. Morgan Bank (Ireland) plc.
Bear Stearns Bank Ireland, which was incorporated in 1997, became part of the business in 2008 as a result of the merger and was named J.P. Morgan Bank (Dublin) plc. It is a fully authorised banking institution as prescribed by the Central Bank of Ireland and the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority and is fully passported in the European area. It is the only EU passported bank in the non-bank chain of J.P. Morgan and provides the firm with direct access to the European Central Bank repo window. It has also been added to the JPMorgan Jumbo issuance programmes to issue structured securities for distribution outside the United States.