We no longer support this browser. Using a supported browser will provide a better experience.

Please update your browser.

Close browser message

Wealth Planning

How to include your grandchild in your financial plan

Providing financial support to your grandchildren can certainly be a rewarding experience. Before writing a check, you may want to explore all of your options in order to ensure that your gifts are aligned with your and your family’s goals. Here are some things to think about when mapping out a thoughtful approach to providing financial resources to your grandchildren:

Give a gift

Every year you can give up to the “annual exclusion” amount to every one of your children and grandchildren without the need to file a gift tax return. If you are married, together you and your spouse can give double the annual exclusion amount to each beneficiary.  In 2020 and 2021, the annual exclusion amount is $15,000.

If you decide to make these gifts, it may be better to do so earlier in the year to make sure you take advantage of the exclusion.  Many families wait until the winter holiday season, but if you don’t use the exclusion in a given year, you lose the ability to make that year’s gift.

Consider who will control the gift

While you can make gifts outright to your grandchildren, you may instead choose to make gifts to them in certain accounts or structures that designate someone else to control how the gifts are invested and when they are distributed to your grandchildren.

You can fund custodial or 529 accounts with annual exclusion gifts (or with more than that if a larger gift is consistent with your goals). If you are the custodian of the custodial account or the owner of the 529 account, you control both the investments in and distributions from those accounts. However, since you are the owner of the accounts, your grandchildren must come to you to request a distribution when they want or need money from the accounts and cannot direct you to make any distributions. While that may be desirable for other reasons, it may lead to logistical problems when making timely tuition payments, for example. Depending on the terms of the state’s plan you have, you may have the ability to transfer ownership of the plan to another eligible owner, including your grandchild or your grandchild’s parents.

Alternatively, you can make these gifts in a trust and appoint a trustee—who can be your children, their spouses, or a trusted friend or professional advisor, or a corporate trustee—to control the trusts.

If you make your children the owners of the accounts (especially of custodial accounts), they shouldn’t use the money to pay for expenses that might be considered their “parental obligation” (such as providing food, clothing or shelter for their children), which could have negative tax consequences.

Determine when your grandchildren get control of the funds

In some instances, you can determine when your grandchildren get control of the funds you’ve set aside for them.

Most types of trusts give you the flexibility to determine when and whether your grandchild can either assist in managing the assets, demand distributions, or otherwise be involved in the administration of the trusts.  Depending on the terms of the state’s plan you have, you may have the ability to transfer ownership of the plan to another eligible owner, including your grandchild or your grandchild’s parents.

A special kind of trust (called a “minority” or “§2503(c) trust”), however, requires that your grandchild must be given the right to withdraw the entire principal at age 21—but if he or she does not, the trust can continue under the terms you set.  Similar to a minority trust, in the case of a custodial account, your grandchild becomes the owner of his or her account by law upon reaching the ages of 18 or 21, depending on the state’s law.  Since minority trusts and custodial accounts could become quite valuable after many years of gifting, you may prefer instead to make gifts to grandchildren using other techniques, which can both delay the time they get control of the funds and allow the wealth you set aside for them to accumulate.

How might gifts impact financial aid for college?

In general, assets owned by your grandchildren (custodial accounts) will reduce eligibility for financial aid more than assets owned by their parents. If you think your grandchildren might want to apply for financial aid and could otherwise qualify, you may want to consider structuring your gifts to reduce any potential impact on their future financial aid eligibility.

For instance, assets owned by a grandparent or a trust for the grandchild’s benefit are generally not counted at all in a financial aid application. However, income of the financial aid applicant (i.e., your grandchild) generally will reduce eligibility for aid. Distributions from trusts or from grandparent-owned 529 accounts are generally treated as the grandchild’s income—even if payments are made directly to the school—likely reducing aid eligibility.

Communicate with your advisor if you’d like to talk through how best to gift assets to your loved ones, including your grandchildren.






This material is intended for educational and information purposes only. This material is intended to help you understand the financial consequences of the concepts and strategies discussed here in very general terms. The strategies discussed often involve complex tax and legal issues, which require discussion with a qualified tax and legal advisor. JPMorgan Chase & Co., its affiliates and employees do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before engaging in any financial transactions.


We believe the third party information contained in this material to be reliable and have sought to take reasonable care in its preparation; however, we do not represent or warrant its accuracy, reliability or completeness, or accept any liability for any loss or damage (whether direct or indirect) arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. We do not make any representation or warranty with regard to any computations, graphs, tables, diagrams or commentary in this material, which is provided for illustration/reference purposes only. Views, opinions, estimates and strategies expressed herein may differ from those expressed by other areas of J.P. Morgan or views expressed for other purposes or in other contexts, and this material should not be regarded as a research report. Any projected results and risks are based solely on hypothetical examples cited, and actual results and risks will vary depending on specific circumstances. Forward looking statements should not be considered as guarantees or predictions of future events. All examples, case studies and scenarios are shown for illustrative purposes only, are not a guarantee of future results and should not be relied upon as advice or interpreted as a recommendation.

Risks, Considerations and Additional Information

There may be different or additional factors which are not reflected in this material, but which may impact on a client’s portfolio or strategy. The information contained in this should not be relied upon in isolation for the purpose of making a decision. Nothing in this document shall be construed as giving rise to any duty of care owed to, or advisory relationship with, you or any third party. Nothing in this document is intended to constitute a representation that any investment strategy or product is suitable for you. You should consider carefully whether any products and strategies discussed are suitable for your needs, and to obtain additional information prior to making an investment decision. Nothing in this document shall be regarded as an offer, solicitation, recommendation or advice (whether financial, accounting, legal, tax or other) given by J.P. Morgan and/or its officers or employees, irrespective of whether or not such communication was given at your request.

“J.P. Morgan Securities” is a brand name for a wealth management business conducted by JPMorgan Chase & Co. and certain subsidiaries. J.P. Morgan Securities offers investment products and services through J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, member FINRA and SIPC. Bank products and services are offered by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and its bank affiliates.

© 2021 JPMorgan Chase & Co. All rights reserved. 

Check the background of Our Firm and Investment Professionals on FINRA's BrokerCheck

To learn more about J. P. Morgan’s investment business, including our accounts, products and services, as well as our relationship with you, please review our  J.P. Morgan Securities LLC Form CRS and  Guide to Investment Services and Brokerage Products.

This website is for informational purposes only, and not an offer, recommendation or solicitation of any product, strategy service or transaction. Any views, strategies or products discussed on this site may not be appropriate or suitable for all individuals and are subject to risks. Prior to making any investment or financial decisions, an investor should seek individualized advice from a personal financial, legal, tax and other professional advisors that take into account all of the particular facts and circumstances of an investor's own situation. 

This website provides information about the brokerage and investment advisory services provided by J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (“JPMS”). When JPMS acts as a broker-dealer, a client's relationship with us and our duties to the client will be different in some important ways than a client's relationship with us and our duties to the client when we are acting as an investment advisor. A client should carefully read the agreements and disclosures received (including our Form ADV disclosure brochure, if and when applicable) in connection with our provision of services for important information about the capacity in which we will be acting.


Equal Housing Opportunity logo

J.P. Morgan Chase Bank N.A., Member FDIC Not a commitment to lend. All extensions of credit are subject to credit approval 

J.P. Morgan Wealth Management is a business of JPMorgan Chase & Co., which offers investment products and services through J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (JPMS), a registered broker-dealer and investment advisor, member FINRA and SIPC. Annuities are made available through Chase Insurance Agency, Inc. (CIA), a licensed insurance agency, doing business as Chase Insurance Agency Services, Inc. in Florida. Certain custody and other services are provided by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (JPMCB). JPMS, CIA and JPMCB are affiliated companies under the common control of JPMorgan Chase & Co. Products not available in all states.

Please read additional Important Information in conjunction with these pages.