We no longer support this browser. Using a supported browser will provide a better experience.

Please update your browser.

Close browser message

Wealth Planning

What are my options to save for my child’s education?

Planning early for your children’s and grandchildren’s education can help you cover these expenses in a tax-efficient manner.

Options to save for a child’s education

A range of choices gives you great flexibility as you save for a child’s or grandchild’s education.

You can give each beneficiary up to $17,000 per year (or $34,000 for married couples) without paying gift tax or using any portion of your lifetime exemption. This amount is known as the annual gift tax exclusion. This is the case no matter how you make the gift. It can be directly to the beneficiary, in a custodial account or “minority trust” if the beneficiary is a minor, in a “Crummey” trust, or using a 529 college savings plan (more details below).

Tuition payments made directly to an educational institution are not subject to gift tax, will not use any of your lifetime gift tax exemption, and will not use up any of the $17,000 annual exclusion from gift tax.

Prepaying tuition

Many K–12 private schools, and some colleges and universities, allow parents and grandparents to prepay tuition. This is especially useful for grandparents who wish to fund their grandchildren’s education but are concerned they may not live long enough to do so. Note that if a student changes schools, the prepaid tuition could be lost.

Assessing the impact on financial aid

Assets owned by a child, such as custodial accounts, will reduce eligibility for need-based financial aid more than assets owned by a parent. Assets owned by a grandparent or trust may not be counted at all.

Income of a child generally will have the biggest impact on the child’s eligibility for need-based financial aid. Distributions from trusts are usually treated as the child’s income, even if payments are made directly to the school. Financial aid applications for the 2023-2024 school year are not supposed to ask about payments from grandparent-owned 529 accounts, which could then be counted as the child’s income; if your application does ask about support from grandparents, consider postponing the use of the grandparent-owned 529 account.

A J.P. Morgan representative can help you evaluate the choices available and determine which strategies make sense for your individual situation.

Education planning options

Crummey trust

  • The beneficiary has a right to withdraw annual contributions for a period of time, usually 30 or 45 days (a “Crummey” power); notice of contributions must be given to the beneficiary in writing.
  • Other than the Crummey power, there is no requirement that the beneficiary should be permitted to withdraw trust assets.
  • The Crummey power is usually exercisable by the beneficiary’s parents as long as the beneficiary is a minor.
  • If the beneficiary does not exercise his or her Crummey power, the assets remain in the trust irrevocably and are invested and distributed according to the trust’s terms.

UTMA or UGMA (custodial) account

  • Assets are given irrevocably to a minor, but an adult custodian retains control until the minor reaches age 18 or 21 (or, in some states in certain circumstances, 25).
  • The minor takes over control of the account—and whatever is in it—when he or she reaches the age of majority.
  • There can be legal restrictions on investments within these accounts.
  • If anyone who contributes to an UTMA (Uniform Transfers to Minors Act) or UGMA (Uniform Gifts to Minors Acts) account also acts as its custodian, all, or a portion of that account generally will be included in the custodian’s taxable estate. For this reason, a parent should generally not act as custodian of UTMA or UGMA accounts created for his or her children if estate tax is a concern.

§ 529 Plan

  • Assets are contributed to a § 529 plan. The contributor usually stays in charge of investments and distributions as the account owner.
  • Some states give contributors a state income tax deduction for § 529 contributions.
  • Investments in a § 529 plan grow income tax free, and if a withdrawal is used for qualified education expenses, it will not be taxable.1
  • § 529 plans can only be used for qualified expenses for college and post-graduate education (any amount), and K–12 education (up to $10,000 per year per child).1
  • If a withdrawal is made for non-educational purposes, the income allocated to the withdrawal is subject to income tax at ordinary rates plus a 10% penalty.

Minority Trust

  • The minor must have a right to demand trust assets when he or she reaches age 21 (or the assets and income must pass to his or her estate if he or she dies prior to reaching age 21).
  • If the minor does not exercise this right, the assets can remain in trust to be invested and distributed according to the trust’s terms.
  • Trust assets must be usable only by the minor or for the minor’s benefit during minority.
  • Minority trusts are created in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 2503(c).





Important Information

This material is for information purposes only, and may inform you of certain products and services offered by J.P. Morgan’s wealth management businesses, part of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (“JPM”). The views and strategies described in the material may not be suitable for all investors and are subject to investment risks. Please read all Important Information. 

1.Withdrawals made to pay for qualified K–12 education expenses may have negative state income tax consequences. Consult with tax counsel before using funds to cover these expenses.

Check the background of Our Firm and Investment Professionals on FINRA's BrokerCheck

To learn more about J. P. Morgan’s investment business, including our accounts, products and services, as well as our relationship with you, please review our  J.P. Morgan Securities LLC Form CRS and  Guide to Investment Services and Brokerage Products.

This website is for informational purposes only, and not an offer, recommendation or solicitation of any product, strategy service or transaction. Any views, strategies or products discussed on this site may not be appropriate or suitable for all individuals and are subject to risks. Prior to making any investment or financial decisions, an investor should seek individualized advice from a personal financial, legal, tax and other professional advisors that take into account all of the particular facts and circumstances of an investor's own situation. 

This website provides information about the brokerage and investment advisory services provided by J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (“JPMS”). When JPMS acts as a broker-dealer, a client's relationship with us and our duties to the client will be different in some important ways than a client's relationship with us and our duties to the client when we are acting as an investment advisor. A client should carefully read the agreements and disclosures received (including our Form ADV disclosure brochure, if and when applicable) in connection with our provision of services for important information about the capacity in which we will be acting.


Equal Housing Opportunity logo

J.P. Morgan Chase Bank N.A., Member FDIC Not a commitment to lend. All extensions of credit are subject to credit approval 

J.P. Morgan Wealth Management is a business of JPMorgan Chase & Co., which offers investment products and services through J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (JPMS), a registered broker-dealer and investment advisor, member FINRA and SIPC. Annuities are made available through Chase Insurance Agency, Inc. (CIA), a licensed insurance agency, doing business as Chase Insurance Agency Services, Inc. in Florida. Certain custody and other services are provided by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (JPMCB). JPMS, CIA and JPMCB are affiliated companies under the common control of JPMorgan Chase & Co. Products not available in all states.

Please read additional Important Information in conjunction with these pages.