Company History

With a legacy dating back to 1799, we have a history of demonstrating leadership during times of both economic growth and financial instability.

Major milestones in the firm's history in Italy:

  • 2000: Following the merger of J.P. Morgan & Co. and The Chase Manhattan Corporation, the firms consolidate their operations at a branch at Via Catena 4.
  • 1983: The Morgan office in Milan moves to the landmark palazzo at Corso Venezia 54, which was originally constructed in 1880.
  • 1977: Morgan Guaranty sells interest in Banca Morgan Vonwiller in late 1976 and opens a banking office in Milan in mid-1977.
  • 1969: Chase Manhattan Bank opens a full service branch in Milan.
  • 1967: Morgan Guaranty acquires a majority interest in Banca Vonwiller a prominent private bank in Milan.  The Milan bank is renamed Banca Morgan Vonwiller.
  • 1961: Morgan Guaranty Trust Company (a firm predecessor) opens a representative office in Rome.
  • 1947: Chase National Rome office reopens, having closed during WWII.
  • 1928: Chase National Bank (a firm predecessor) opens a representative office in Rome.
  • 1927: Italian government confers on J.P. Morgan, Jr. (“Jack”) the Royal Order of the Crown of Italy for his help in stabilizing the Italian lira.
  • 1925: J.P. Morgan leads a syndicate offering for $100 million for the Kingdom of Italy.
  • 1915: J.P. Morgan & Co. leads a banking group which grants a large credit to the Bank of Italy, thereby establishing a relationship with the Bank of Italy.
  • 1915: Banca d’Italia opens its first dollar account with the Guaranty Trust Company of New York (a firm predecessor).
 

Copyright © 2017 JPMorgan Chase & Co. All rights reserved.