Thomas G. Labrecque Smart Start Scholarship Program
Each year, 10 high school graduating seniors across New York City become part of the Thomas G. Labrecque Smart Start Scholarship Program. Since 1992 the Scholarship program has had an impact on over 450 students throughout the five boroughs of New York City by providing education, work-related and financial benefits.
Scholarship recipients receive a full-tuition scholarship (less financial aid) to one of the following colleges:*
- Barnard College
- Baruch College
- Brooklyn College
- City College
- Columbia University
- Fordham University (Lincoln Center campus, Rosehill campus)
- Long Island University (Brooklyn campus)
- New York University
- Pace University (Manhattan campus)
- Polytechnic Institute of New York University
- St. Francis College
- St. John's University
Participation as a Smart Start student provides:
- a paid internship at our firm throughout the student's four years of college, which includes
- specific work assignments
- on-the-job training
- full-time schedule in the summer and part-time schedule during the school year
- yearly stipend for books and supplies
- a support network of mentors, peer advisors and a Smart Start program manager to assist in assimilation into a corporate environment
- career planning and development
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
- graduating seniors from New York City high schools who are New York City residents
- students with legal authorization to work in the United States
- students accepted to one of the participating colleges
- students planning to major in any discipline except life science or fine arts
(Note - This includes for double major or minor within these fields)
What qualifications does a candidate need to possess?
- Financial aid based on Expected Family Contribution
- Academic achievement
- Communication skills
- Ability to balance numerous priorities
How are students selected?
Students apply to the JPMorgan Chase Thomas G. Labrecque Smart Start Scholarship Program by completing an application form, which includes:
- school records (minimum 90 GPA, top 15% class rank)
- academic and personal recommendations
- SAT/ACT scores (minimum 1000 combined for verbal and math/21 for ACT)
- financial aid form
**Without any of these documents, your application will be disqualified.**
What is the application deadline?
Applications must be submitted by January 17, 2014.
Applications must be submitted using one of the following options:
- Go to: https://aim.applyists.net/SmartStart/
- To initiate your session, scroll to the bottom and select "Apply Now"
- You will be prompted to create an account if you have not previously submitted a scholarship application through this site
- If you require a downloadable application please visit: Application Download
For FAQs, please visit: Frequently Asked Questions.
Are students guaranteed jobs at the firm after they graduate from college and the Program?
The Thomas G. Labrecque Smart Start Scholarship Program is a pipeline to entry level, full-time employment at our firm. Our hope is that students will choose to begin their careers within our lines of businesses at J.P. Morgan and Chase. While students are not guaranteed jobs, if they do well in both school and their Smart Start rotations, we will assist in finding the best-suited positions for them in the organization. We also work closely with the students to help them determine their interests and skills. The students are provided with career counseling and receive training in resume writing and interviewing skills to help prepare them for the interview process.
For further information contact Smart Start at 1-866-520-2976, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*We offer links to non-JPMorgan web sites for convenience. We do not sponsor these sites, nor are we responsible for information that appears on them.